Friday 5 July 2013

My mind's eye pocket album

  Hi, its my turn again to share a project with you.  Here is the finished album that I've been working on - if you remember I used the scraps that I had left from this project last week to create a little notebook.  For those that missed it I used one of my favourite paper lines: Follow Your Heart: Be Amazing by My Mind's Eye.  The papers are so pretty - the combination of the yellows and blues work so well together.


  The album itself measures 6 by 4 inches.  For the front cover I simply layered pieces of the patterned paper, edged them with the pumice stone ink pad, and used pieces of a paper doily and a sticker. The twine and the gems are both from the collection too.


  The album is constructed from white cardstock.  First I created 5 pockets that would hold my tags.  To do this I took 5 pieces of 8 1/2 by 5 inch of card and scored them at 4 and at 8 inches.  This creates an 1/2 inch tab at the end.  You simply fold the card at the 4 inch score line and after adding adhesive to the outside of the tab piece, stick the pocket together.  You will need to make 5 of these.  



  Then to join all of these pockets together and stick them to the covers I made 6 hinge pieces.  For these you need to take 6 pieces of 4 x 1 1/8 inch card.  You score them at 1/2 inch and then at the 5/8 inch mark, taper the edges of your pieces.  I then stuck one edge of the hinge piece to the inside edge of one of the pocket pieces (pocket 1) and then the other side to the inside of a second pocket (pocket 2).  (Make sure that you only adhere the hinge to one side of your pocket - you need to leave the other side free to add the next pocket).  This joins two of your pockets together and gives you an 1/8 inch gap between them so that you can add embellishments if you wish.  To add the next pocket you take another hinge and stick it to the inside of pocket 2 and then stick the other side to pocket 3.  I hope this all makes sense - I don't know how else to explain it!


  When all five pockets were joined together I used the last two hinge pieces to attach the album to  my covers - which were just two pieces of card measuring 6 x 4 inches.  I cut the corners of these pieces so that my covers looked like tags.  Then to cover the binding I used a piece of card measuring 4 by 1 7/8 inches.  I scored this at 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1 inch, and then 1 1/8, 1 1/4 and 1 3/8, and stuck this to the front and back cover - you won't see this when you add your decorated paper.


  As you can see I used doilies and gems from the collection to decorate the inside pages.  In the gems pack you get different sizes of matching gems in three different  colours, they are so sparkly!!!


  If you have any questions or need more instructions please leave a comment below.

2 comments:

Melanie Marshall said...

I absolutely love this project! It's so sunshiney! I love the idea of having so many tags for hidden photographs and journaling and your cover is beautiful! x

Paula Whittaker said...

ooo loving this....you're certainly a dab hand at creating these type of projects.